Drawing For The Terrified | Tue 28 Sep – Tue 19 Oct | 7-9pm | £60 (4 weeks) | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | 16+ | Art Room 1
Creating art can have a positive effect on our wellbeing and yet sometimes it is hard to know where to start. Drawing for the Terrified is a new course designed to get you started on that journey.
If this course has already started there may be places still available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
Using still life subject matter and photographic source material you will be guided through a series of drawing exercises designed to dispel the fear of putting pencil and charcoal to paper, all within a friendly and supportive environment.
Through a series of fun drawing tasks, you will learn to:
- Use different pencil and charcoal drawing techniques.
- Connect the looking and observing of an object/subject matter through to translating that onto paper in a drawn composition.
- Appreciate and use different techniques and processes that result in a drawn piece of artwork.
- Appreciate some different approaches to, and styles of, drawing by looking at artists’ work.
- Different methods of teaching and learning will include practical work, demonstrations, group discussion, one-to-one advice and guidance, looking at work by other artists, and peer learning.
What do I need to bring?
- A2 sketchbook of white cartridge paper.
- A range of B pencils, or graphite pencils.
- Pencil sharpener.
- An ink pen such as a fine liner or marker pen.
- Willow charcoal and putty rubber.
- Cheap hairspray or artists fixative.
- (Optional) Other drawing materials like charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal sticks or conte sticks.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait Award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions, her work is collected internationally and she works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
View all Creative Learning courses here.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT.
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.