Portraits in Watercolour | Fri 8 Oct – Fri 22 Oct | 1-3pm | £45 (3 weeks) | 16+ | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | Art Room 1
Portraits in watercolour will help you free up your watercolour techniques in this short painting course. It will cover the basic techniques and some helpful colour mixes, alongside exercises designed to develop your confidence in painting a portrait in watercolours.
If this course has already started there may be places still available. Please contact email@example.com
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
- Through a series of observational portrait painting tasks, you will learn to:
- Work more confidently in watercolour.
- Choose and use colour with more confidence for portraits.
- Be able to combine the discipline of drawing the portrait with lively watercolour mark-making techniques.
- Be aware of a wider range of watercolour portrait artists.
- Each week there will be a portrait model present to work directly from.
- Different methods of teaching and learning will include practical work, demonstrations, group discussion, one-to-one advice and guidance, looking at work by other artists, and peer learning.
What do I need to bring?
Watercolour paper sheets (at least one A2 in size) Watercolour paper of 140lb/300gms or less should be stretched, unless it is on a block pad. Try a ‘rough’ or ‘cold-pressed/not’ surface, NOT ‘hot pressed’ as it is too smooth.
- Brushes – No. 10/12 round brush – a sable brush is best as it will go into a fantastic point for any detail.
- Large soft flat brush, at least ½ / ¾ inch.
- Rigger brush
- Stiffer brush (artificial) to aid ‘lifting out’ techniques.
- Small sponge
- A range of watercolours, good colours for flesh are – cadmium red, alizarin crimson, rose madder, ultramarine, cerulean blue, raw sienna, cadmium yellow, viridian green, burnt umber, burnt sienna, white can also be useful.
- masking fluid
- Colour watercolour pencils can also be used as an option.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait Award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is collected internationally and she works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
View all Creative Learning courses here.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.