Tutor Frances Winder | 10.30am – 4.30pm | £55
Develop free use of acrylic paint using different methods and materials including gesso, rags and card, impasto techniques and collage work.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
The workshop will be taught through practical activity, basic and advanced techniques of paint application and straightforward instruction on composition and subject choice. This is all combined with an experimental approach and free use of paint. We look at work by several different artists for inspiration. This workshop is suitable for beginners, as well as those with some experience of using acrylics.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Acrylic paints, brushes, palette (Frances recommends a stay wet palette which you can buy or make. A plastic flat box like a sandwich box with a sealing lid as large as you can manage, kitchen roll and some greaseproof paper will make one for you.)
- Sketches, sketchbook or reference material.
- Rags and an old credit card, or similar to cut up.
- Masking tape and a water pot are useful.
- Black acrylic ink, cling film, and gesso, if you have it. Frances will provide some gesso for those who haven’t got any.
- Paper, rough paper or notebook to work out designs, good watercolour paper, rough or not surface, canvas or canvas board or a book of acrylic paper.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Frances has a fine art degree and teaching qualification gained in Manchester and has taught at secondary level and in adult education and colleges, She spent a period working for advertising agencies and architects in the Manchester and Cheshire area.
Now based in Kendal, her work has been exhibited at the Up-front gallery, Farfield Mill, Old Courthouse Gallery in Ambleside and the La-al gallery in Kendal. Her work is in international collections in Europe, America, Australia and Africa as well as the UK.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission; whether booking online, on the phone or at the counter. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Help the environment, save time and skip the queues at the box office with our E-tickets. Download tickets to your smart device and present to our front of house staff upon entry. Please note: E-tickets are not available for standing events or youth arts classes.