Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | Fee £69 | 5 weeks
Observing from life is the perfect discipline to improve drawing skills. This course will provide an opportunity for people of all abilities, including beginners, to develop their drawing and painting skills through the discipline of portraiture. The higher fee for this workshop reflects using a model in each session.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
Through a series of observational drawing tasks you will learn to:
- Demonstrate an effective use of measuring techniques within portraiture.
- Observe and draw more accurately through the discipline of portraiture and study of the human form.
- Practice and apply some different drawing techniques to portraiture in the quest to expand drawing and mark making skills.
- Use a range of different limited colour palettes within portraiture (if using colour).
- Appreciate and discuss drawings and portraits by other artists.
Methods of learning in the course:
Practical work. Demonstration. Group work. Group discussion. One–to-one. Looking artwork by other artists. Peer learning. Self-assessment. Tutor assessment.
By the end of the course/workshop you will be capable of :
- Using measuring techniques within portraiture.
- Observing and drawing more accurately.
- Adding elements of colour to a portrait (optional).
- Identifying a wider variety of portrait artists.
What do I need to bring with me?
A3/2 sketchbook (any further paper will be discussed before each session), soft lead pencils/graphite, willow charcoal, a putty rubber and tape are essentials. Other mediums will be explored as a personal development.
When using art materials your clothes could potentially get dirty so you may wish to dress accordingly.
Please bring a pen, notebook and your glasses, if you need them
Are there any additional costs?
None. Students need to provide their own art materials.
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014 and 2018. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is in collected internationally, and works from her home based studio in Kendal. Her art work focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
All tickets include a commission excluding creative learning classses and workshops.
Save time, avoid the queues and help the environment with our 'Print at Home' tickets.. Download your tickets to your smart phone and present your digital ticket to our front of house staff upon entry.*
*print at home tickets are not available for standing events or youth arts classes