1 Feb | 10.30 am – 4.30 pm | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | £55
Practice and develop your watercolour skills in this one-day portrait workshop designed to increase your confidence with this medium whilst working direct from a model.
Methods of learning in the course:
Practical work. Demonstration. Group work. Group discussion. One–to-one. Looking at work by other artists. Peer learning. Self-assessment. Tutor assessment.
By the end of the course/workshop you will be able to:
Work more confidently in watercolour.
Choose and use colour with more confidence for portraits.
Be able to combine the discipline of drawing the portrait with lively watercolour mark making techniques.
Be aware of a wider range of watercolour portrait artists.
What do I need to bring with me?
- 4 x Watercolour paper sheets, at least one A2 ‘ish in size. Watercolour paper of 140lb/300gms or less should be stretched, unless it is on a block. I would go for a ‘rough’ or ‘cold pressed/not’ surface, NOT ‘hot pressed’ as it is too smooth.
- One brush is all you need, at least No. 10/12 in size as if it is a sable brush it will go into a fantastic point for any detail. If you want you can also to bring a large soft flat brush, at least ¾ inch. Also bring a slightly stiffer brush (artificial) to aid ‘lifting out’ techniques.
- A range of watercolours. Good colours for flesh are – cadmium red, alizarin crimson, rose madder, ultramarine, cerulean blue, raw sienna, cadmium yellow, viridian green, burnt umber, burnt sienna…..white and masking fluid can also be useful.
- Paper towels, water pots, pencil.
- Colour watercolour pencils can also be used as an option.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is in collected internationally, and works from her home based studio in Kendal. Her art work focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.