Autumn 20 Sep – 13 Dec | Spring 17 Jan – 27 Mar | Summer 17 Apr – 22 May | 10.30-12.30pm | Tutor Janni Howker | Autumn £126 (10 weeks) | Spring £126 (10 weeks) | Summer £63 (5 weeks)
This course will help you explore the writer’s toolbox from simile to suspense with the intention of producing original work of your own. If you have a lively interest in reading, a desire to write and to share your work, then come and join this course to participate in practical exercises and receive supportive tutor-led critical feedback.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
This course is suitable for complete beginners as well as more experienced writers.
A number of Janni’s previous students have had their work published as a result of attending her courses.
During the course you will learn to:
- Explore the craft of creative writing in the context of a highly supportive workshop
- Complete exercises that aim to raise your awareness of elements of poetry and prose in order to achieve a clear understanding of techniques which will equip you to practise writing as a skill
- Learn to confront the blank page confidently with a genuine ability to redraft work on your own
- Learn to use some technical language to discuss your own and other people’s creative writing critically
- The classes will be a mixture of tutor-led discussion, analysis of examples, peer review and the completion of class and individual exercises
Please note there are no classes on the following dates:
Autumn term: 11 October, 25 October & 15 November 2019
Spring term: 21 February 2020
Summer term: 8 May 2020
What do I need to bring with me?
You will need pens, paper, notebook and glasses if you need them. Access to a local library would be useful.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Janni Howker’s literary awards include the prestigious Whitbread Prize for Children’s Literature. Her classes are very popular and many students go on to have work published.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission; whether booking online, on the phone or at the counter. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Help the environment, save time and skip the queues at the box office with our E-tickets. Download tickets to your smart device and present to our front of house staff upon entry. Please note: E-tickets are not available for standing events or youth arts classes.