Start Drawing | Tue 18 Jan to Tue 29 Mar | 7-9pm | £136 (10 weeks) | 16+ | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | Studio 3
Start Drawing course will help you to learn to reconnect with drawing in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Drawing is a fundamental skill instinctive from an early age, however, for whatever reason, many people give up when they are young. Through a series of enjoyable exercises, you’ll develop skills in translating what you see onto paper.
What will the course cover and how will it be taught?
Still-life subject matter will be primarily used as a source of inspiration. With expert guidance, tutor demonstrations and within a supportive and social setting, you will be able to achieve drawings that you are proud of.
Through a series of drawing tasks, you will learn to:
- Explore different drawing techniques using pencil, graphite, charcoal and pastel.
- Connect with your observation of a subject matter through some enjoyable tasks that will increase your skills within the discipline of drawing.
- Appreciate elements that make up a well-drawn composition through the practical application of different processes and techniques.
- Apply some simple colour theories in the production of a coloured drawing.
- Appreciate some different approaches to, and styles of, drawing by looking at artists’ work.
- Different methods of teaching and learning will include practical work, demonstrations, group discussion, one-to-one advice and guidance, looking at work by other artists, and peer learning.
Please note there is no class during the week beginning 14 February.
What do I need to bring?
- A2/A3 sketchbook of white cartridge paper.
- A range of B pencils, or graphite pencils.
- Pencil sharpener.
- An ink pen such as a fine liner or marker pen.
- Willow charcoal and putty rubber.
- Range of pastels (soft or hard).
- Cheap hairspray or artist’s fixative.
(Optional) Other drawing materials like charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal sticks or conte sticks.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait Award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is collected internationally and she works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting. www.catherinemacdiarmid.co.uk
View all Creative Learning courses here.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT.
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.