Tutor Keith Redfern | Fee £50 | 4 weeks
If you have always wanted to put your words (or someone else’s) to music but were not sure how to begin, then this workshop will help you get started.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
If you have a little bit of knowledge of playing an instrument eg can strum a few guitar chords or can play some basic piano/keyboard etc this workshop will show you how to become more creative with your existing skills.
Using a combination of tutor demonstration with video and audio examples, one to one and small group coaching and group discussion the course will cover:
- An overview of the development of popular song, using examples of the work of established songwriters.
- A summary of basic music theory relevant to songwriting
- How to approach creating melodies to fit lyrics
- Ideas for developing chord progressions to suit a range of musical styles
By the end of the course you will have:
- An overview of how popular song has developed helping to develop an appreciation of the skills of songwriters.
- Gained some basic music theory tips often employed in writing a song and identify how popular songs are generally structured (but also recognise that there are no rules!) Know that if it sounds good then it generally is!
What do I need to bring with me?
Bring a guitar if you have one. Keyboards will be provided.
Please bring a pen, notebook and your glasses, if you need them.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Keith Redfern is a musician and music facilitator/tutor who has spent many years leading music workshops and performing live in bands during the course of which he is continually learning, playing and writing songs.
If you have a query or are unsure whether the course is right for you please get in touch with the Creative Learning Team who will be happy to contact the tutor on your behalf.
There is no class Mon 26 April or 6 May.
All tickets include a commission excluding creative learning classses and workshops.
Save time, avoid the queues and help the environment with our 'Print at Home' tickets.. Download your tickets to your smart phone and present your digital ticket to our front of house staff upon entry.*
*print at home tickets are not available for standing events or youth arts classes