Tutor Keith Redfern | Fee £50 | 4 weeks
If you have always wanted to put your words (or someone else’s) to music but were not sure how to begin, then this short course will help you get started.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
If you have a little bit of knowledge of playing an instrument eg can strum a few guitar chords or can play some basic piano/keyboard etc this workshop will show you how to become more creative with your existing skills.
Using a combination of tutor demonstration with video and audio examples, one to one and small group coaching and group discussion the course will cover:
- An overview of the development of popular song, using examples of the work of established songwriters.
- A summary of basic music theory relevant to songwriting
- How to approach creating melodies to fit lyrics
- Ideas for developing chord progressions to suit a range of musical styles
By the end of the course you will have:
- An overview of how popular song has developed helping to develop an appreciation of the skills of songwriters.
- Gained some basic music theory tips often employed in writing a song and identify how popular songs are generally structured (but also recognise that there are no rules!) Know that if it sounds good then it generally is!
What do I need to bring with me?
Bring a guitar if you have one. Keyboards will be provided.
Please bring a pen, notebook and your glasses, if you need them.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Keith Redfern is a musician and music facilitator/tutor who has spent many years leading music workshops and performing live in bands during the course of which he is continually learning, playing and writing songs.
If you have a query or are unsure whether the course is right for you please get in touch with the Creative Learning Team who will be happy to contact the tutor on your behalf.
Please note there is no session on Mon 22 April or Mon 6 May due to the Bank Holidays
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.