7 Sep | 10.30 am – 4.30 pm | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | £55
This workshop coincides with Catherine Macdiarmid’s new exhibition ‘Personal’, in the Sugar Store Gallery. Gain an insight into Catherine’s artistic processes while composing your own unique portrait.
What will the course or workshop cover and how will it be taught?
You will create your own self-portrait or portrait of a someone you know / a fellow course member. You will explore some different drawing techniques and methods of developing a portrait from life, and techniques of using photos/iPads to increase accuracy.
During the course you will learn to:
- Utilise some different drawing processes, both from life and using a photographic source material and/or iPad.
- Develop some observational drawing techniques.
- Develop mark-making with a personal choice of art materials.
- Compose a portrait.
- Methods of learning in the course:
- Practical work. Demonstration. Group work. Group discussion. One-to-one. Looking at work by other artists. Peer learning. Self-assessment. Tutor assessment.
- By the end of the course/workshop you will be able to:
- Compose a portrait.
- Use some different observational drawing techniques
- Use some different processes for working with photos and/or iPads for portraiture.
What do I need to bring with me?
As it is an art course it is advisable to wear old clothing or overalls that you do not mind getting messy.
- Willow charcoal and putty rubber.
- A2 cartridge paper/ sketch book.
- Masking tape or clips to attach paper to boards.
- Art materials of your choice and an appropriate surface to work on.
- If using paint you must bring brushes, pots, rags etc.
- If using oil paint you must bring appropriate solutions and glass jars with lids and 2 x primed A2 surface.
- A mirror.
- A good close up photo (A4 print out is ideal) of a loved one/friend that you wish to reproduce. You must be prepared for the photo to be de-faced. It is better to use
your own photo rather than a magazine photo.
- OR, an iPad with an appropriate grid up App. I use CopyIt for iPad.
- A good ruler/ large set square and pen of you are going to use an actual photo
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait Award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is in collections internationally and works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting. www.catherinemacdiarmid.co.uk
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT.
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support.