Learn to Draw | Tue 1 Nov to Tue 29 Nov | 7-9pm | £56 (4 wks) | 16+ | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | Studio 3 |
Drawing is a fundamental skill instinctive from an early age, however, for whatever reason, many people give up when they are young. In this short course, you will learn to reconnect with drawing through a series of enjoyable exercises designed to develop skills in translating what we see onto paper.
What will the course cover and how will it be taught?
With expert guidance, tutor demonstrations and within a supportive and social setting, you will be able to achieve drawings that you are proud of.
Through a series of drawing tasks, you will learn to:
- Explore different drawing techniques using pencil, graphite, charcoal and pastel.
- Connect with your observation of a subject matter through some enjoyable tasks that will increase your skills within the discipline of drawing.
- Appreciate elements that make up a well-drawn composition through the practical application of different processes and techniques.
- Apply some simple colour theories in the production of a coloured drawing.
- Appreciate some different approaches to, and styles of, drawing by looking at artists’ work.
Different methods of teaching and learning will include practical work, demonstrations, group discussion, one-to-one advice and guidance, looking at work by other artists, and peer learning.
What do I need to bring?
- A2/A3 sketchbook of white cartridge paper.
- A range of B pencils, or graphite pencils.
- Pencil sharpener.
- An ink pen such as a fine liner or marker pen.
- Willow charcoal and putty rubber.
- Range of pastels (soft or hard).
- Cheap hairspray or artist’s fixative.
- (Optional) Other drawing materials like charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal sticks or conte sticks.
Are there any additional costs?
Please note there are no classes during the week beginning 14 November.
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait Award for young artists in 2001/2. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is collected internationally and she works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
View all Creative Learning courses here.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.