Drawing For The Terrified | Tue 20 Sep to Tue 18 Oct | 7-9pm | £70 (5 wks) | 16yrs+ | Tutor Catherine MacDiarmid | Studio 3 |
Creating art can have a positive effect on our wellbeing and yet sometimes it is hard to know where to start. Drawing for the Terrified is a new course designed to get you started on that journey.
What will the course cover and how will it be taught?
Using still life subject matter and photographic source material you will be guided through a series of drawing exercises designed to dispel the fear of putting pencil and charcoal to paper, all within a friendly and supportive environment. Through a series of fun drawing tasks, you will learn to:
- Use different pencil and charcoal drawing techniques.
- Connect the looking and observing of an object/subject matter through to translating that onto paper in a drawn composition.
- Appreciate and use different techniques and processes that result in a drawn piece of artwork.
- Appreciate some different approaches to, and styles of, drawing by looking at artists’ work.
Different methods of teaching and learning will include practical work, demonstrations, group discussion, one-to-one advice and guidance, looking at work by other artists, and peer learning.
What do I need to bring?
- A2 sketchbook of white cartridge paper.
- A range of B pencils, or graphite pencils.
- Pencil sharpener.
- An ink pen such as a fine liner or marker pen.
- Willow charcoal and putty rubber.
- Cheap hairspray or artists’ fixative.
- (Optional) Other drawing materials like charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal sticks or conte sticks.
Are there any additional costs?
About the tutor
Catherine MacDiarmid is a local artist who has exhibited widely, including exhibiting in the BP Portrait in 2001/2 and regularly at the Mall Galleries, London. She is an elected member of The Lakes Artists Society and appeared in Sky Portrait Artists of the Year 2014, 2018 reaching the semi-finals in 2019. As well as completing private portrait commissions her work is in collected internationally, and works from her home-based studio in Kendal. Her artwork focuses on the human form, exploring expression and movement in both drawing & painting.
View all Creative Learning courses here.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.