Darkroom Access | Thu 22 Sep | Thu 27 Oct | Thu 24 Nov | Thu 8 Dec | 6.30-9.30pm | £20 (per session) | 16 yrs+ | Darkroom/Print Room
Brewery Arts Darkroom is now available to access for developing and printing black and white photography for experienced/professional photographers.
Who can use the Darkroom?
The Brewery Darkroom is accessible to:
- Professional photographers or those with proven experience who wish to develop and print black and white film photography. Users will need to provide evidence of their experience of darkroom developing and printing.
- Those who have successfully completed a Darkroom photography course at the Brewery. Courses will run from Autumn 2022. To apply, please complete and submit the form below.
- All users, regardless of experience, must undergo an induction session.
When is the Darkroom available?
Supervised sessions take place once a month on a Thursday evening 6.30-9.30pm
Autumn 2022: 22 Sep, 27 Oct, 24 Nov, 8 Dec
What is the induction?
All darkroom users must undertake an induction before using the facilities. Inductions take approximately 20-30 minutes at the start of a session and will cover darkroom and building safety procedures and familiarisation with equipment. The induction is NOT a darkroom printing or refresher course.
How many people can use the Darkroom?
- The Darkroom can accommodate a maximum of 5 people at any one time plus the supervisor.
- The Darkroom is located on the upper floor of the main Brewery Arts building. Access is either via stairs or lift from the main entrance on the ground floor. If the main entrance is closed, the bar /restaurant entrance should be used.
- The Darkroom is located next to the Print Studio which may be in use by those attending printmaking courses when you visit. Please be respectful of all users and allow space for everyone to work.
What is provided?
- Five enlargers are available for 35mm black and white film processing. The darkroom operates on a first come first served basis and enlarging bays need to be booked in advance.
- One enlarger can print 120 (medium format) and 5 x 4 (large format).
- Multigrade Dec, Stop and Fix chemicals are provided for traditional black and white printing and is included in the session fee. Colour developing and printing is not available.
- Developing trays accommodate A4 size and 16” x 12” paper.
- There is a volunteer supervisor present at each session. The supervisor is not a tutor and can only provide support in an informal, non-professional capacity.
What do I need to bring?
Users need to bring their own film and paper. Paper can be purchased from the Dark Room supervisor if required. Any other chemicals must be brought by the user and removed at the end of the session. Darkroom users are expected to work in a safe and tidy manner.
How much does it cost?
Annual membership is £10 and then users can book monthly sessions online. The first session including induction costs £20* for 3 hours. Subsequent sessions are £20* per 3 hours.
*20% discount on session prices is offered to students and those aged 18-24. Age and student status should be indicated on the application form. Students must show NUS card.
How do I book?
If you would like to become a Darkroom Member, please complete the form below and send to email@example.com
Once your application has been submitted and approved, you will be contacted within 10 working days to arrange an Annual Membership payment via the Brewery Sales team. You will then be able to book the individual monthly sessions online via our website
Booking an enlarger bay in advance is essential as this secures your space for the session. We will endeavour to ensure a supervisor is present at all advertised times. If a supervisor is not available, the session will be cancelled and your session fee can be transferred to another date.
Terms and Conditions
- Brewery Arts cannot accept responsibility for the loss or damage to personal property used in the Darkroom or left when users are not in attendance. Darkroom users do so at their own risk.
- Brewery Arts reserves the right to refuse access to any users at any time.
- Brewery Arts reserves the right to make reasonable amendments to session times, equipment,
- Sessions must be booked and paid for in advance and cancellations must be made at least 48 hours in advance. No refunds/credit can be provided after this time.
- If Brewery Arts cancels the session in which case the booking can be transferred to another date.
PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT
Brewery Members receive a 10% discount on most ticketed live performances and event tickets, sign in to your account to take advantage of these discounts.
All our ticket prices include a 50p commission. This fee helps us continue to fund our diverse programme. Creative learning classes & workshops are exempt.
Audio Description (AD) is available in Screen 1. Infrared audio system is available in both Cinema Screens 1 and 2. Induction loops (T) are in place in the Theatre, please ask for assistance on the door.
Some live events may carry strict age restrictions, these are outlined on our website. Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult at all times during evening events.
Unwaged* – For those in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax credits, Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support. Discounts may not be applicable on certain events.